Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Crash Week.

After an amazing women's church retreat Fri/Sat I returned home at about 5pm.  Adam was at his mom's house with the kids and the weather was beautiful, so I decided to go for my first outdoor ride.  It felt amazing to be on the road again.  There was this one moment when I came to the top of a hill and all around me was wide open prairies, with the mountains in the distance.  So beautiful.  I took in a breath of fresh air and felt so happy. I was enjoying myself so much that I just kept cycling towards the mountains and before I knew it, almost 2 hours had passed and the sun was setting.  With my t-shirt and shorts, I knew that I was going to get cold as the temperatures dropped.  So I turned back for home and cycled as fast as I could.  My hands were numb, my toes were numb and I remembered why I have such a love/hate relationship with road rides.  I made it home in 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Sunday I didn't train.  I never do on Sundays.
Monday I worked the election all day long, so I wasn't able to train.
Tuesday I had some major catching up to do.  I ran for one hour, then swam for one hour at the gym.  Then Adam worked from home in the afternoon so I could ride outside again.  I was pretty tired from my morning session but grateful for another chance to ride outside.  It didn't go very well.  I headed East on the 22x this time, thinking I would enjoy a nice, flat ride.  But there's so much construction, virtually no shoulder and a lot of rude construction truck drivers.  As I went over a few bumps, my Ironman Cozumel water bottle fell out of it's cage and landed in the middle of the highway.  Before I could get to it, a truck ran over it.  Sad.  So the rest of the ride I mourned the loss of my bottle and tried my best to enjoy the ride, despite the bad road conditions.
Wednesday (today) I dropped Kyla off at my mom's and went for a 17 km run.  I LOVED IT!.  I realized as I ran that it really is my favorite of the three sports.  I enjoy the swim and the bike (for the most part) but I LOVE to run.  Hence, my poem.  In trying to prepare my body for the hills in Hawaii, I ran a hill in Fish Creek park 10 times.  My legs felt great.  I realized that I have built up a lot of muscle in my legs because hills used to be so hard for me.  My body feels ready to race.

Six weeks until Hawaii!

5 comments:

  1. Amazing Kim!! I admire what you do so much! I am so grateful that you are into this. Your so strong! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that hills would become easy for you. Good work making a potential challenge into a strength and especially on those Fish Creek hills. They make me wince just thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Liz. I admire you as well!
    Silvana, thanks for always encouraging me and helping me believe that I can do hard things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I hire you to run hills for me??? How many calories do you think this will burn off for me?? (smile) Sorry to read about the water bottle --- that is sad!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the bottle sympathy. Sure, I will burn some calories for you sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete